Search This Blog

Tuesday 21 September 2010

Five minutes with...Matthew Young of Song, by Toad

Matthew Young is the man behind the Song, by Toad website, which is a bible for many people when it comes to discovering new music. His work has also evolved and Song, by Toad Records was born, which he now runs full-time. The label is home to the likes of Meursault and Inspector Tapehead.

Matthew is well-known for his forthright views on music and life in general, and under no circumstances should you shout "Mr Toad!" if you pass him on the street, as this will result in a negative and potentially fatal reaction.

 Meursault - A few kind words by popupbooking

How often have you been asked to explain the name Song, by Toad?

Not as often as I have to fucking spell it to people. Huw Stephens managed to air an interview with me once in which I said exactly how annoying it was for people to call the site Songs by Toad or whatever variation they managed to come up with, only to go back to the studio and say 'thank you to Matthew from Songs for Toad there.' I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.


Why don't you make up an absurd version, for when annoying people ask? Any ideas?

What, like 'it's a translation of an obscure Gaelic phrase meaning 'has to constantly be explained to soft-minded cunts in words of one syllable'' for example?


Yes, exactly! I do love the vitriolic nature of your blog posts - the rant about the sound guy at the White Heath ep launch was a favourite for sure! What is the worst thing you've ever said about a band?

Christ, there have been some nasty ones. Not so many these days, as I have become a little more sympathetic as I get more involved with music people. The ones I feel worst about are ones aimed at people who are really nice and don't really deserve it. Scott from Frightened Rabbit has been endlessly supportive of Meursault and the label, but I hated their last album and it was impossible to review it without saying so. That one felt really rotten. 

In terms of just plain insulting someone, I think I described We Are Scientists as being 'so tediously banal that every time some cunt with a haircut puts it on the stereo thinking they're being alternative, God takes a cute fluffy kitten out into the street and stamps on its adorable little face'. Oh, and I reviewed Paolo Nutini's debut album with the single sentence: 'Sounds a lot like James fucking Blunt to me.'


In a similar vein, have you ever had a serious backlash to anything you've posted on the blog?

Nah, not really. Some of my most loyal readers have come from stopping by to set me straight on something, but I always engage with anyone who shows even the slightest shred of thought behind their insults, so these things do tend to end well most of the time. Drive by abuse I don't really bother with, but it doesn't happen very often, because I think people can usually tell they're just going to be laughed at.


If one member of Meursault had to die a horrible death in order for the band to make it to the big time, who do you think should volunteer?

Pennycook.


Yeah, he really does fuck all doesn't he. You do a show on Fresh Air Radio too. Do you prefer live radio or podcasting?

I don't know, but live radio still has a certain glamour to it - even Fresh Air - despite the fact that I have a much bigger audience for the podcast. I presume that'll change over the next few years though.


I heard a rumour that your wife is 'the Malcolm Tucker of Song, by Toad' - is this accurate?

That's the best description I've ever heard of her, I do agree. Most people are really quite scared of pissing her off because she really doesn't suffer fools at all. But in all honesty, she is the most protective, affectionate person I could hope to be with and has been endlessly patient, generous and supportive with all this Toad nonsense. If she wasn't behind it, didn't support it financially, and didn't allow me to devote so much time to it then it just wouldn't happen. So she's scary, but there's a heart of gold in there somewhere, beneath all the venom and the thorns!


Given that it was me who suggested the Tucker similarity, how dead am I when she catches up with me?

Was it you that said that? I think she's quite proud of it actually, so you're probably safe. Unless she decides to kick away one of your crutches just for sport of course.


I see the anti-cripple sentiments run throughout your household. What has been your best musical discovery of the year for you so far?

Hmm, dunno. Locally, the rebirth of the Scottish Enlightenment and the ever-increasing excellence of the Japanese War Effort have been great, but in terms of brand new bands I have happened across for the first time this year..? Maybe Warm Ghost, L'il Daggers, King Post Kitsch, Perfume Genius, Allister Izenberg or Male Bonding. Glass Animals sound promising too, but I've only heard two songs, so I might have to hold fire on that one a bit. Generally though, I'd have to give it a little more thought than that to give you a proper answer, sorry.


Thought is not required for this blog! Which other blogs do you read and trust?

The Daily Growl, The Vinyl Villain, Have Fun at Dinner and 17 Seconds are my most-visited, and Cloud Sounds is an awesomely great podcast.


Best gig you've ever been to?

Christ knows.


Highest number of people, including cripples, mules and crippled mules, that you've ever fitted into your house for a gig?

Fifty to sixty for a Born to Be Wide thingie once, but probably more for our Christmas party last year.


Favourite Tom Waits album, bearing in mind that Pennycook and I out-voted you 2 to 1 in favour of Bone Machine rather than Swordfishtrombones?

Hmm, Swordfishtrombones, did I say that? Depends what time of the week you ask me, I suppose. It's pretty awesome - the only two I think can really touch it would be Alice or The Black Rider. Bone Machine is great, but I don't like it as much as any of those three.


Favourite venue for live music?

My house? It involves the least walking. The old Bowery will probably always be the most special to me, as I watched Ruth and Jane build it from scratch, and I also put on two of the first gigs there too. Sam Amidon's first performance there was as spell-binding a gig as I have ever seen.


Lastly, a drink from the bar, on the unlimited Five Minutes With expenses account, what are you having?

The bottle of Tanqueray Ten on the top shelf please.


No comments:

Post a Comment